Comparison of Bacterial Proportion in Patients Consuming Nicotine and Patients not Consuming Nicotine in Oral Cavity
Jan-June 2016 | Vol 2 | Issue 1 | Page :15-17
1*IV yr BDS, Saveetha Dental College, Poonamallee, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India,
2Professor, Department of Microbiology, Saveetha Dental College, Poonamallee, Chennai, India.
How to cite this article: R.Priyanka, Muralidharan. Comparison of Bacterial Proportion in Patients Consuming Nicotine and Patients not Consuming Nicotine in Oral Cavity. Adv Med Dent Res 2016; Jan-Jun; 2(1); 15-17. DOI: 10.21276/amdr.2016.2.1.04
Aim: The aim of the study was to compare the bacterial proportion in patients consuming nicotine and patients not consuming nicotine in respect to the oral cavity.
Materials and Methods: The salivary samples of 20 patient consuming nicotine products such as bede, cigarettes etc and patients not consuming any nicotine products were added in the study as control group. Samples were collected only from male patients above 25 years of age. Samples were collected in sterile disposable containers and diluted in sterile saline in the ratio of 1:40 dilution (50 micro liters of saliva was diluted in 2 ml of saline), inoculated and incubated for 24 hrs. The total count as well as the S.mutans count were evaluated.
Results: The study showed reduction in the s. mutans proportion in the patients consuming nicotine products as the nicotine substitute present inhibits the growth of the gram positive organisms. The total count showed a increase in the proportion in nicotine consuming patient.
Keywords: : Nicotine, Bacterial proportion, S. Mutans.
- Li. M et al, Effect of nicotine on dual- species bio films of Strept. mutans and sanguinis. FEMS Microbiol Lett., 2014 Jan; 350(2):125-32.
- Keene K et al. The effect of nicotine on growth of Streptococcus mutans, Miss Dent Assoc J, 1999;55(4):38-9.
- Saman Warnakulasuriya et al, Tobacco, oral cancer and treatment of dependency, Oral oncology, March 2005,Vol.41(3):244-260.
- Saman Warnakulasuriya et al, Oral health risks of tobacco use and effects of cessation, International Dental Journal, vol. 60, Issue 1, Pages7-3, Feb.2010.
- Wallstrom M et al, The long term effect of nicotine on the oral mucosa, Pub Med, March 1999;94(3):417-23.
- . Ranjan Malhotra et al, Nicotine and periodontal tissues, Journal of Indian Society of periodontology, 2010 Jan-Mar;14(1):72-79.
- Sajith Vellapally et al, Influence of tobacco use in dental caries development, Cent. Eur.J Public Health 2007;15(3):116-121.
- Huang R et al, Effect of nicotine on growth and metabolism of strepts. Mutans, Eur J Oral Sci. 2012 Aug;120(4):319-2.
- Jorn A. et al, Defining the normal bacterial flora of the oral cavity, Journal of Clinical Microbiology.
- . Pedro Belda-Ferre et al, The oral metagenome in health and disease, The ISME Journal(2012)6,46-56.
- Elisabeth M Bik et al, Bacterial diversity of 10 healthy individuals, The ISME Journal (2010)4,962-974.
- Hans Preber et al, Occurrence of periopathogens in smoker and non-smoker patients, Journal of clinical periodontology, Volume 19, Issue 9, Oct. 1992;667-671.
- DM Winn et al, Tobacco use and oral disease, Journal of Dental Education, 2001 Apr;65(4):306-12.
- Pablo Galindo-Moreno et al, Influence of alcohol and tobacco habits on peri-implant marginal bone loss: a prospective study, Clinical oral implant research, 14 Sept.2005.
- ASK Sham et al, The effects of tobacco on oral health, Hong Kong Medical Journal,2003.